steamroll(redirected from steamrolled)
Also found in: Thesaurus.
a. A steam-driven machine equipped with a heavy roller for smoothing road surfaces.
b. A similar machine with an internal-combustion engine.
2. A ruthless or irresistible force or power.
v. also steam·roll (-rōl′) steam·roll·ered, steam·roll·er·ing, steam·roll·ers also steam·rolled or steam·roll·ing or steam·rolls
1. To smooth or level (a road) with a steamroller.
2. To overwhelm or suppress ruthlessly; crush.
To move or proceed with overwhelming or crushing force.
1. a heavy steam-powered vehicle having a roller for crushing, compacting, or leveling materials used for a road or the like.
2. (not in technical use) any similar vehicle with a roller.
3. an overpowering force, esp. a ruthless one.v.t.
4. to crush or flatten with a steamroller.
5. to overcome with superior force.
6. to bring about the adoption of by overwhelming pressure: to steamroller the resolution through.v.i.
7. to proceed with implacable force.adj.
8. ruthlessly overpowering.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Verb||1.||steamroll - bring to a specified state by overwhelming force or pressure; "The Senator steamrollered the bill to defeat"|
|2.||steamroll - proceed with great force; "The new teacher tends to steamroller"|
go, proceed, move - follow a procedure or take a course; "We should go farther in this matter"; "She went through a lot of trouble"; "go about the world in a certain manner"; "Messages must go through diplomatic channels"
|3.||steamroll - overwhelm by using great force; "steamroller the opposition"|
|4.||steamroll - make level or flat with a steamroller; "steamroll the roads"|
flatten - make flat or flatter; "flatten a road"; "flatten your stomach with these exercises"