Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
1. Solid; solid body: stereolithography.
2. Three-dimensional: stereoscope.
stereo-or sometimes before a vowel
indicating three-dimensional quality or solidity: stereoscope.
[from Greek stereos solid]
ster•e•o(ˈstɛr iˌoʊ, ˈstɪər-)
n., pl. ster•e•os,
1. a system or equipment for reproducing stereophonic sound.
2. stereophonic sound reproduction.
3. stereoscopic photography.
4. a stereoscopic photograph.
6. pertaining to stereophonic sound, stereoscopic photography, etc.
a combining form meaning “solid,” “solid body or figure,” “three-dimensions”: stereochemistry; stereogram; stereoscope.Also, esp. before a vowel,stere-.
[< Greek, comb. form of stereós hard, solid]