Also found in: Thesaurus, Wikipedia.
1. Any of several North American ground cherries, especially Physalis pruinosa, having edible yellowish fruit.
2. The fruit of any of these plants.
nAlso called: Cape gooseberry
1. (Plants) a tropical solanaceous annual plant, Physalis peruviana, having bell-shaped whitish-yellow flowers and small edible round yellow berries
2. (Plants) a similar and related plant, Physalis pubescens
3. (Cookery) the fruit of either of these plants, eaten fresh or made into preserves and pickles
1. the small, edible, tomatolike fruit of the plant Physalis pruinosa, of the nightshade family.
2. the plant itself.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||strawberry tomato - stout hairy annual of eastern North America with sweet yellow fruits|
|2.||strawberry tomato - decorative American annual having round fleshy yellow berries enclosed in a bladderlike husk|