Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. The way in which something is said, done, expressed, or performed: a style of teaching.
2. The combination of distinctive features of literary or artistic expression, execution, or performance characterizing a particular person, group, school, or era.
3. Sort; type: a style of furniture.
4. A quality of imagination and individuality expressed in one's actions and tastes: does things with style.
a. A comfortable and elegant mode of existence: living in style.
b. A mode of living: the style of the very rich.
a. The fashion of the moment, especially of dress; vogue: clothes that are in style.
b. A particular fashion: the style of the 1920s.
7. A customary manner of presenting printed material, including usage, punctuation, spelling, typography, and arrangement: a manual of style.
8. A name or title: businesses under the style of Wilson and Webber.
a. An implement used for etching or engraving.
b. A slender pointed writing instrument used by the ancients on wax tablets.
10. The needle of a phonograph.
11. The gnomon of a sundial.
12. Botany The usually slender part of a pistil, connecting the ovary and the stigma.
13. Zoology A slender, tubular, or bristlelike process: a cartilaginous style.
14. Medicine A surgical probing instrument; a stylet.
15. Obsolete A pen.
tr.v. styled, styl·ing, styles
1. To design or fashion in a certain way: styled the new model after the classic sports cars.
2. To arrange (hair) in a certain way, as by cutting, coloring, or curling.
3. To call or name; designate: George VI styled his brother Duke of Windsor.
4. To make consistent with rules of style: style a manuscript.
[Middle English, from Old French, from Latin stylus, stilus, spike, pointed instrument used for writing, style; see stylus.]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||styler - someone who cuts or beautifies hair|
barber - a hairdresser who cuts hair and shaves beards as a trade
coiffeur - a man hairdresser
coiffeuse - a woman hairdresser
tinter - a hairdresser who tints hair