Also found in: Medical.
1. The act of understanding and mentally supplying a word or thought that has been implied but not expressed.
2. A word or thought supplied by subaudition.
1. (Psychology) something that is not directly stated but implied
2. (Psychology) the ability or act of understanding that which is only implied
[C18: from Late Latin subaudīre, from sub- + Latin audīre to hear]
sub•au•di•tion(ˌsʌb ɔˈdɪʃ ən)
1. an act or instance of understanding or mentally supplying something not expressed.
2. something mentally supplied; understood or implied meaning.
subaudition- The act of understanding something that is implied but not overtly expressed; the act of reading between the lines or otherwise understanding a message that is implicit.
See also related terms for implied.