Also found in: Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to superheat: Superheated steam
tr.v. su·per·heat·ed, su·per·heat·ing, su·per·heats
1. To heat excessively; overheat.
2. To heat (steam or other vapor not in contact with its own liquid) beyond its saturation point at a given pressure.
3. To heat (a liquid) above its boiling point without causing vaporization.
1. The amount by which a vapor is superheated.
2. The heat imparted during the process of superheating.
1. (Chemistry) to heat (a vapour, esp steam) to a temperature above its saturation point for a given pressure
2. (Chemistry) to heat (a liquid) to a temperature above its boiling point without boiling occurring
3. to heat excessively; overheat
su•per•heat(n. ˈsu pərˌhit; v. ˌsu pərˈhit)
1. the state of being superheated.
2. the amount of superheating.v.t.
3. to heat to an extreme degree or to a very high temperature.
4. to heat (a liquid) above its boiling point without the formation of bubbles of vapor.
5. to heat (a gas, as steam not in contact with water) to such a degree that its temperature may be lowered or its pressure increased without the conversion of any of the gas into liquid.
Past participle: superheated