Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to supernumerary: Supernumerary teeth, Supernumerary kidney
1. Exceeding a fixed, prescribed, or standard number; extra: a supernumerary rib.
2. Exceeding the required or desired number or amount; superfluous: an employee who became supernumerary after the merger. See Synonyms at superfluous.
n. pl. su·per·nu·mer·ar·ies
1. One that is in excess of the regular, necessary, or usual number.
2. An actor without a speaking part, as one who appears in a crowd scene.
1. (Mathematics) exceeding a regular or proper number; extra
2. (Industrial Relations & HR Terms) functioning as a substitute or assistant with regard to a regular body or staff
n, pl -aries
3. a person or thing that exceeds the normal, required, or regular number
4. (Industrial Relations & HR Terms) a person who functions as a substitute or assistant
5. (Theatre) an actor who has no lines, esp a nonprofessional one
[C17: from Late Latin supernumerārius, from Latin super- + numerus number]
su•per•nu•mer•ar•y(ˌsu pərˈnu məˌrɛr i, -ˈnyu-)
adj., n., pl. -ar•ies. adj.
1. being in excess of the usual, proper, or prescribed number; extra.
2. associated with a regular body or staff as an assistant or substitute in case of necessity.n.
3. a supernumerary or extra person or thing.
4. a supernumerary official or employee.
5. a person who appears in a play, opera, etc., without speaking lines or as part of a crowd; extra.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||supernumerary - a person serving no apparent function; "reducing staff is difficult because our employees include no supernumeraries"|
|2.||supernumerary - a minor actor in crowd scenes|
|Adj.||1.||supernumerary - more than is needed, desired, or required; "trying to lose excess weight"; "found some extra change lying on the dresser"; "yet another book on heraldry might be thought redundant"; "skills made redundant by technological advance"; "sleeping in the spare room"; "supernumerary ornamentation"; "it was supererogatory of her to gloat"; "delete superfluous (or unnecessary) words"; "extra ribs as well as other supernumerary internal parts"; "surplus cheese distributed to the needy"|
supernumerary[ˌsuːpəˈnjuːm/ərərɪ] adj & n → soprannumerario/a
a. supernumerario-a, en número mayor que el normal.