superorganism


Also found in: Medical, Wikipedia.

su·per·or·gan·ism

 (so͞o′pər-ôr′gə-nĭz′əm)
n.
A group of organisms, such as an insect colony, that functions in an organized fashion analogous in some ways to the functioning of a single biological organism.

superorganism

(ˈsuːpərˌɔːɡənɪzəm)
n
(Biology) a group of organisms functioning as one organism (e.g. an insect colony)
Mentioned in ?
References in periodicals archive ?
He has simply shoved together two anomalous pieces: the egoistic isolate that makes up, supposedly, 90 percent of human motives and the superorganism that makes up the other 10 percent.
In the attempt to reimagine globalized environmental catastrophes, Wu's novel has become an essential part of the rising global interest in what Joni Adamson calls an "indigenous cosmovision" (148) or what environmental Bron Taylor names a "dark green religion" (4) and that configure environmental globality as a "multinatural" superorganism (Adamson 146) or a "Gaia-like superorganism" (Taylor 4) of wholeness and spiritual connectedness.
Nature integrates all ecosystem cycles and is the final arbiter of truth and unquestionable authority on cell polarity, stem cell niches, and the gut ecosystem cycle determinants that can help us reach a superorganism potential.
The superorganism approach may help researchers better understand how diet, chemicals and other environmental factors affect health, for instance.
We are looking at the coral complex like a superorganism," she said: All the various life forms are living together in a web of interactions that contribute to the functioning and well-being of the whole coral reef community.
However, while it is has been established that the prokaryotic component of the human superorganism is amenable to manipulation by chemotherapeutic, dietary or microbial interventions, the significance of such alterations in terms of human health or well being is less well established.
A honey bee colony is a eusocial superorganism -- thousands of worker sisters work together to execute all tasks needed by the whole.
On reflection, much of the historic work on Apis mellifera has focused on beekeeping as a craft and art, rather than the biological underpinnings of the honey bee as a social or superorganism.
Trevize's choice is based on his intuition, but because of his own individualism, he is not happy with choosing the collective: "I don't want to be part of a superorganism.
THE LEAFCUTTER ANTS: CIVILIZATION BY INSTINCT offers an outstanding survey of these specialized ants and is inspired by the authors' prior THE SUPERORGANISM.
Haldane proposed just such a superorganism (Haldane, J.