surcharge(redirected from surcharged)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Encyclopedia.
1. An additional sum added to the usual cost or amount paid.
2. An additional or excessive amount or burden: "individuals ... carrying a surcharge of aggressive energy" (Truman Capote).
a. A new value or denomination overprinted on a postage or revenue stamp.
b. The stamp to which a new value has been applied.
4. Law The act of surcharging.
tr.v. sur·charged, sur·charg·ing, sur·charg·es
1. To charge (a person or organization) an additional sum.
a. To overload or overfill: clouds that are surcharged with rain.
b. To overwhelm or oppress: "He is full of morbid thoughts and surcharged with a sense of worthlessness" (Bernard Lown).
3. To print a surcharge on (a postage or revenue stamp).
4. Law To show an omission of a credit in (an account).
[Middle English, from surchargen, to overtax, from Old French surcharger : sur-, sur- + chargier, to charge; see charge.]
1. (Commerce) a charge in addition to the usual payment, tax, etc
2. (Commerce) an excessive sum charged, esp when unlawful
3. an extra and usually excessive burden or supply
4. (Law) law the act or an instance of surcharging
5. (Philately) an overprint that alters the face value of a postage stamp. Also (obsolete): surchargement
6. (Commerce) to charge an additional sum, tax, etc
7. (Commerce) to overcharge (a person) for something
8. to put an extra physical burden upon; overload
9. to fill to excess; overwhelm
10. (Law) law to insert credits that have been omitted in (an account)
11. (Philately) to overprint a surcharge on (a stamp)
sur•charge(n. ˈsɜrˌtʃɑrdʒ; v. sɜrˈtʃɑrdʒ, ˈsɜrˌtʃɑrdʒ)
n., v. -charged, -charg•ing. n.
1. an additional charge, tax, or cost.
2. an excessive sum or price charged.
3. an additional or excessive load or burden.
4. an overprint that alters or restates the face value of a postage or revenue stamp to which it has been applied.
5. the act of surcharging.v.t.
6. to subject to an additional or extra charge, tax, cost, etc.
7. to overcharge for goods.
8. to print a surcharge on (a stamp).
9. to put an additional or excessive burden upon.
Past participle: surcharged
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||surcharge - an additional charge (as for items previously omitted or as a penalty for failure to exercise common caution or common skill)|
charge - the price charged for some article or service; "the admission charge"
single supplement - a surcharge added to the cost per person when traveling alone
|Verb||1.||surcharge - charge an extra fee, as for a special service|
|2.||surcharge - rip off; ask an unreasonable price|
extort, gouge, wring, rack, squeeze - obtain by coercion or intimidation; "They extorted money from the executive by threatening to reveal his past to the company boss"; "They squeezed money from the owner of the business by threatening him"
|3.||surcharge - fill to capacity with people; "The air raids had surcharged the emergency wards"|
overcrowd - cause to crowd together too much; "The students overcrowded the cafeteria"
|4.||surcharge - print a new denomination on a stamp or a banknote|
|5.||surcharge - fill to an excessive degree; "The air was surcharged with tension"|
|6.||surcharge - place too much a load on; "don't overload the car"|
|7.||surcharge - show an omission in (an account) for which credit ought to have been given|
show - give evidence of, as of records; "The diary shows his distress that evening"
دَفْعَه إضافِيَّهضَرِيبَةٌ إِضَافِيَّة
ek ücretfazla fiyat isteme
khoản phụ trội
an extra amount of money charged. We paid for our holiday abroad in advance but we had to pay a surcharge because of the devaluation of the pound. heffing دَفْعَه إضافِيَّه доплащане sobretaxa příplatek der Zuschlag tillægsgebyr πρόσθετη χρέωση ή επιβάρυνση recargo, sobretasa lisamaks هزينه اضافي lisämaksu surtaxe, majoration תַּשלוּם נוֹסָף अधिभार लेना, अधिशुल्क लेना, अधिकार लेना, अधिभार डालना naknadni namet, dodatna naplata pótdíj biaya tambahan aukagreiðsla maggiorazione 追加料金 추가요금 priemoka piemaksa bayaran tokok toeslag ekstra gebyr, tilleggsavgiftdopłata اضافی پیسی sobretaxa suprataxă, majorare доплата príplatok doplačilo dodatna taksa extraavgift การเก็บเงินเพิ่ม ek ücret 額外費用 доплата; штраф زاءد رقم، سر محصول số tiền tính thêm, tiền trả thêm 额外费