swallowtail(redirected from swallowtails)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
Related to swallowtails: Swallowtail butterfly
a. The deeply forked tail of a swallow.
b. Something similar to the tail of a swallow.
2. See tailcoat.
3. Any of various colorful, widely distributed butterflies of the family Papilionidae, usually having an extension at the end of each hind wing that resembles the tail of certain swallows.
1. (Animals) any of various butterflies of the genus Papilio and related genera, esp P. machaon of Europe, having a tail-like extension of each hind wing: family Papilionidae
2. (Zoology) the forked tail of a swallow or similar bird
3. (Clothing & Fashion) short for swallow-tailed coat
1. the tail of a swallow or a deeply forked tail like that of a swallow.
2. any of several butterflies of the genus Papilio, characterized by elongated hind wings.
3. tail coat.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||swallowtail - a man's full-dress jacket with two long tapering tails at the back|
dress suit, full dress, tail coat, tailcoat, tails, white tie and tails, white tie - formalwear consisting of full evening dress for men
jacket - a short coat
morning dress - formal attire for men during the daytime