Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Idioms, Encyclopedia.
1. Having wide-ranging influence or effect: sweeping changes.
2. Moving in or as if in a wide curve: a sweeping gesture; a sweeping glance.
3. Indiscriminate; wholesale: sweeping generalizations.
4. Overwhelming; complete: a sweeping victory.
1. The action of one that sweeps.
2. sweepings Things swept up; refuse.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adv.||1.||sweepingly - in a sweeping manner; "he sweepingly condemned the entire population of the country for the war crimes"|