Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
n. pl. sym·po·si·ums or sym·po·si·a (-zē-ə)
1. A meeting or conference for discussion of a topic, especially one in which the participants form an audience and make presentations.
2. A collection of writings on a particular topic, as in a magazine.
3. A convivial meeting for drinking, music, and intellectual discussion among the ancient Greeks.
[Latin, drinking party, from Greek sumposion : sun-, syn- + posis, drinking; see pō(i)- in Indo-European roots.]
sym·po′si·ac′ (-zē-ăk′) adj.
n, pl -siums or -sia (-zɪə)
1. (Education) a conference or meeting for the discussion of some subject, esp an academic topic or social problem
2. (Education) a collection of scholarly contributions, usually published together, on a given subject
3. (Historical Terms) (in classical Greece) a drinking party with intellectual conversation, music, etc
[C16: via Latin from Greek sumposion, from sumpinein to drink together, from sum- syn- + pinein to drink]
sym•po•si•um(sɪmˈpoʊ zi əm)
n., pl. -si•ums, -si•a (-zi ə)
1. a meeting or conference for the discussion of some subject, esp. a meeting at which several speakers discuss a topic before an audience.
2. a collection of opinions expressed or articles contributed by several persons on a given subject or topic.
3. (in ancient Greece)
a. a drinking party following the evening meal, attended only by men, and typically featuring songs, games, and entertainment by hired performers.
b. such a party as the frame for a literary work that purports to be a record of the guests' conversation.
[1580–90; < Latin < Greek sympósion <sympótēs drinking companion (sym- sym- + po-, s. of pinein to drink)]
learned discussion of a particular topic. Also spelled symposion.See also: Learning
Symposiuma collection of opinions, 1882; a conference on a specific topic, 1869; a drinking party, 1748—Wilkes.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||symposium - a meeting or conference for the public discussion of some topic especially one in which the participants form an audience and make presentations|
conference - a prearranged meeting for consultation or exchange of information or discussion (especially one with a formal agenda)