Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to synonymy: antonymy
n. pl. syn·on·y·mies
1. The quality of being synonymous; equivalence of meaning.
2. Study and classification of synonyms.
3. A list, book, or system of synonyms.
4. Biology A chronological list of the published scientific names that have been applied to a species.
n, pl -mies
1. (Linguistics) the study of synonyms
2. the character of being synonymous; equivalence
3. (Literary & Literary Critical Terms) a list or collection of synonyms, esp one in which their meanings are discriminated
4. (Biology) biology a collection of the synonyms of a species or group
syn•on•y•my(sɪˈnɒn ə mi)
n., pl. -mies for 3, 4.
1. the quality of being synonymous; equivalence in meaning.
2. the study of synonyms.
3. a set, list, or system of synonyms.
4. Biol. a list of the scientific names, with explanatory matter and location of type or types, for a particular taxonomic group.
[1600–10; < Late Latin synōnymia]
Synonymysynonyms collectively, 1683.