Also found in: Thesaurus, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. One that synthesizes: a synthesizer of others' ideas.
2. Music An electronic instrument, often played with a keyboard, that combines simple waveforms to produce more complex sounds, such as those of various other instruments.
1. (Instruments) an electrophonic instrument, usually operated by means of a keyboard and pedals, in which sounds are produced by voltage-controlled oscillators, filters, and amplifiers, with an envelope generator module that controls attack, decay, sustain, and release
2. a person or thing that synthesizes
syn•the•siz•er(ˈsɪn θəˌsaɪ zər)
1. a person or thing that synthesizes.
2. an electronic, usu. computerized console or module for creating or modifying the sounds of musical instruments.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||synthesizer - an intellectual who synthesizes or uses synthetic methods|
|2.||synthesizer - (music) an electronic instrument (usually played with a keyboard) that generates and modifies sounds electronically and can imitate a variety of other musical instruments|
electronic instrument, electronic musical instrument - a musical instrument that generates sounds electronically
keyboard instrument - a musical instrument that is played by means of a keyboard
music - an artistic form of auditory communication incorporating instrumental or vocal tones in a structured and continuous manner