Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
tail finalso tail·fin (tāl′fĭn′)
1. A fin at the posterior part of the body of a fish, crustacean, whale, or other aquatic animal.
2. An ornamental projection shaped like a fin on the rear fender of an automobile. Also called fin1.
3. A fin at the tail end of an aerodynamic or hydrodynamic object such as an airplane or surfboard, used to provide directional control or stability.
1. the terminal vertical fin of a fish.
2. See under fin 1 (def. 6).
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||tail fin - a stabilizer that is part of the vertical tail structure of an airplane|
stabilizer - airfoil consisting of a device for stabilizing an aircraft
vertical tail - the vertical airfoil in the tail assembly of an aircraft
|2.||tail fin - one of a pair of decorations projecting above the rear fenders of an automobile|
auto, automobile, car, motorcar, machine - a motor vehicle with four wheels; usually propelled by an internal combustion engine; "he needs a car to get to work"
|3.||tail fin - the tail of fishes and some other aquatic vertebrates|
fin - organ of locomotion and balance in fishes and some other aquatic animals
heterocercal fin - a tail fin with unequal lobes in which the vertebral column turns upward into the larger lobe as in sharks
homocercal fin - symmetrical tail fin extending beyond the end of the vertebral column as in most bony fishes
fish - any of various mostly cold-blooded aquatic vertebrates usually having scales and breathing through gills; "the shark is a large fish"; "in the living room there was a tank of colorful fish"