Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
n. Chiefly British
(Automotive Engineering) a board at the rear of a lorry, wagon, etc, that can be removed or let down on a hinge
n., v. -gat•ed, -gat•ing,
1. a board or gate at the back of a wagon, truck, station wagon, etc., that can be removed or let down for loading or unloading.
2. a style of playing the trombone, esp. in Dixieland jazz, distinguished esp. by the use of melodic counterpoint and long glissandi.v.i.
3. to follow or drive hazardously close to the rear of another vehicle.
4. to have a picnic on a tailgate, esp. of a station wagon.v.t.
5. to follow or drive hazardously close to the rear of (another vehicle).adj.
6. set up on a tailgate or near an automobile, as in a parking lot: a tailgate picnic.
[1865–70, Amer.; (definition 5) so called from the usual seat of trombonists in trucks carrying musicians during a parade]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||tailboard - a gate at the rear of a vehicle; can be lowered for loading|
beach waggon, beach wagon, estate car, station waggon, station wagon, waggon, wagon - a car that has a long body and rear door with space behind rear seat
gate - a movable barrier in a fence or wall