tare(redirected from tares)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Acronyms, Encyclopedia.
Related to tares: TAIRS
1. Any of several vetches native to Europe.
2. Any of several weedy plants that grow in grain fields.
3. tares An unwelcome or objectionable element.
1. The weight of a container or wrapper that is deducted from the gross weight to obtain net weight.
2. A deduction from gross weight made to allow for the weight of a container.
3. Chemistry A counterbalance, especially an empty vessel used to counterbalance the weight of a similar container.
tr.v. tared, tar·ing, tares
To determine or indicate the tare of, especially to weigh in order to find out the tare.
1. (Plants) any of various vetch plants, such as Vicia hirsuta (hairy tare) of Eurasia and N Africa
2. (Plants) the seed of any of these plants
3. (Bible) Bible a troublesome weed, thought to be the darnel
[C14: of unknown origin]
1. (Commerce) the weight of the wrapping or container in which goods are packed
2. (Commerce) a deduction from gross weight to compensate for this
3. (Commerce) the weight of a vehicle without its cargo, passengers, etc
4. (Commerce) an empty container used as a counterbalance in determining net weight
(Commerce) (tr) to weigh (a package, etc) in order to calculate the amount of tare
[C15: from Old French: waste, from Medieval Latin tara, from Arabic tarhah something discarded, from taraha to reject]
1. any of various vetches, esp. Vicia sativa.
2. (in the Bible) a noxious weed.
[1300–50; Middle English: vetch; akin to Middle Dutch tarwe wheat]
n., v. tared, tar•ing. n.
1. the weight of the wrapping or receptacle containing goods.
2. a deduction from the gross weight to allow for this.
3. the weight of a vehicle without cargo, passengers, etc.v.t.
4. to ascertain or allow for the tare of.
[1480–90; < Middle French « Arabic ṭarḥah what one discards, derivative of ṭaraḥa to discard]
pt. and pp. of tear 2.
Past participle: tared
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||tare - an adjustment made for the weight of the packaging in order to determine the net weight of the goods|
|2.||tare - any of several weedy vetches grown for forage|
vetch - any of various climbing plants of the genus Vicia having pinnately compound leaves that terminate in tendrils and small variously colored flowers; includes valuable forage and soil-building plants
|3.||tare - weedy annual grass often occurs in grainfields and other cultivated land; seeds sometimes considered poisonous|
|4.||tare - the weight of a motor vehicle, railroad car, or aircraft without its fuel or cargo|
weight - the vertical force exerted by a mass as a result of gravity
|5.||tare - (chemical analysis) a counterweight used in chemical analysis; consists of an empty container that counterbalances the weight of the container holding chemicals|
chemical analysis, qualitative analysis - the act of decomposing a substance into its constituent elements