Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to tatting: Tatting shuttle
1. Handmade lace fashioned by looping and knotting a single strand of heavy-duty thread on a small hand shuttle.
2. The act or art of making such lace.
1. (Knitting & Sewing) an intricate type of lace made by looping a thread of cotton or linen by means of a hand shuttle
2. (Knitting & Sewing) the act or work of producing this
[C19: of unknown origin]
1. the act or process of making knotted lace of cotton thread with a shuttle.
2. such lace.
[1835–45; orig. uncertain]
A kind of open weave lace-like cloth made by hand, or the act of making it.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||tatting - needlework consisting of handmade lace made by looping and knotting a single thread on a small shuttle|
|2.||tatting - the act or art of making handmade lace|
handicraft - a craft that requires skillful hands