Also found in: Thesaurus, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. The tenderest part of a loin of beef, pork, or similar cut of meat.
2. A city district notorious for vice and graft.
[Sense 2, after the Tenderloin, an area of New York City (from the easy income it once afforded corrupt policemen).]
1. (Cookery) a tender cut of pork or other meat from between the sirloin and ribs
2. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) US a district of a city that is particularly noted for vice and corruption
[sense 2 from Tenderloin, former district of New York City, regarded as an easy source of bribes for a corrupt policeman]
1. (in beef or pork) the tender meat of the muscle running through the sirloin and terminating before the ribs.
a. (formerly) a district in New York City noted for corruption and vice: so called because police there could eat well from their bribes.
b. a similar district in any U.S. city.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||tenderloin - a city district known for its vice and high crime rate|
city district - a district of a town or city
|2.||tenderloin - the tender meat of the loin muscle on each side of the vertebral column|
beef tenderloin - beef loin muscle
pork tenderloin - pork loin muscle