Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. Third in place, order, degree, or rank.
2. Of, relating to, or designating the short flight feathers nearest the body on the rear edge of a bird's wing.
a. Of, relating to, or having a carbon atom that is attached to three other carbon atoms in a molecule.
b. Of or relating to the replacement of three of several atoms or groups in a compound, such as an amine in which three valences of the functional group are taken by carbon atoms.
c. Of or relating to salts of acids containing three replaceable hydrogen atoms.
4. Tertiary Of, relating to, or being the period of geologic time from about 66 to about 2.6 million years ago, the older of the two periods of the Cenozoic Era. The Tertiary Period is characterized by the appearance of modern flora, insects, fish, amphibians, and reptiles, and by the dominance of mammals as vertebrate life forms on land. See Table at geologic time.
n. pl. ter·ti·ar·ies
1. A tertiary feather.
2. Tertiary The Tertiary Period.
3. Roman Catholic Church A member of a religious Third Order.
1. third in degree, order, etc
2. (Education) (of education) taking place after secondary school, such as at university, college, etc
3. (Economics) (of an industry) involving services as opposed to extraction or manufacture, such as transport, finance, etc. Compare primary8b, secondary7
4. (Roman Catholic Church) RC Church of or relating to a Third Order
5. (Chemistry) chem
a. (of an organic compound) having a functional group attached to a carbon atom that is attached to three other groups
b. (of an amine) having three organic groups attached to a nitrogen atom
c. (of a salt) derived from a tribasic acid by replacement of all its acidic hydrogen atoms with metal atoms or electropositive groups
6. (Zoology) ornithol rare Also called: tertial of, relating to, or designating any of the small flight feathers attached to the part of the humerus nearest to the body
n, pl -tiaries
7. (Zoology) ornithol rare Also called: tertial any of the tertiary feathers
8. (Ecclesiastical Terms) RC Church a member of a Third Order
[C16: from Latin tertiārius containing one third, from tertius third]
(Geological Science) of, denoting, or formed in the first period of the Cenozoic era, which lasted for 63 million years, during which mammals became dominant
(Geological Science) the Tertiary the Tertiary period or rock system, divided into Palaeocene, Eocene, Oligocene, Miocene, and Pliocene epochs or series
ter•ti•ar•y(ˈtɜr ʃiˌɛr i, -ʃə ri)
adj., n., pl. -ar•ies. adj.
1. of the third order, rank, stage, formation, etc.; third.
a. noting or containing a carbon atom united to three other carbon atoms.
b. formed by replacement of three atoms or groups.
3. (cap.) noting or pertaining to the earlier period of the Cenozoic Era, beginning about 65 million years ago, during which mammals gained ascendancy.
5. noting or pertaining to a Third Order.n.
6. (cap.) the Tertiary Period or System.
8. (often cap.) a member of a Third Order.
[1540–50; < Latin tertiārius of third part or rank]
The first period of the Cenozoic Era, from about 65 to 2 million years ago, characterized by the appearance of most modern classes of plants and mammals. See Chart at geologic time.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Tertiary - from 63 million to 2 million years ago|
Pliocene, Pliocene epoch - from 13 million to 2 million years ago; growth of mountains; cooling of climate; more and larger mammals
Oligocene, Oligocene epoch - from 40 million to 25 million years ago; appearance of sabertoothed cats
|Adj.||1.||tertiary - coming next after the second and just before the fourth in position|
ordinal - being or denoting a numerical order in a series; "ordinal numbers"; "held an ordinal rank of seventh"
trečio laipsniotrečios pakopos
üçüncü derecede/sırada olan
tertiary[ˈtɜːrʃəri] adj [studies] → supérieur(e); [course, qualification] → de l'enseignement supérieur tertiary college, tertiary educationtertiary college n (British) établissement accueillant des élèves de terminale et dispensant une formation professionnelletertiary education n (British) → enseignement m supérieurtertiary sector n
the tertiary sector → le secteur tertiaire
of or at a third level, degree, stage etc. Tertiary education follows secondary education. tersiêr ثُلاثي третичен terciário terciární tertiär tredje- τριτοβάθμιοςterciario kolmanda astme سومین؛ ثالث tertiäärinen tertiaireשלישי तीसरी श्रेणी का tercijaran, koji pripada trećem redu harmadfokú; felsőfkú tingkat tiga þriðja stigs terziario 第３次の 제3의 trečio laipsnio, trečios pakopos trešās pakāpes- tinggi tertiair i tredje rekke, tertiær- trzeciorzędny, trzeciego stopnia terciário superior; terţiar третьеступенчатый terciárny tretjestopenjski tercijalan som kommer i tredje hand, tertiär ลำดับที่สาม üçüncü derecede/sırada olan 第三的, 第三級的 третинний تيسرے درجے کا thứ ba 第三的，第三级的