Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to thane: Thane of Cawdor
Tha·neor Tha·na (tä′nə)
A city of west-central India, a manufacturing suburb of Mumbai.
a. A freeman granted land by the king in return for military service in Anglo-Saxon England.
b. A man ranking above an ordinary freeman and below a nobleman in Anglo-Saxon England.
2. A feudal lord or baron in Scotland.
thane(θeɪn) or commonly
1. (Historical Terms) (in Anglo-Saxon England) a member of an aristocratic class, ranking below an ealdorman, whose status was hereditary and who held land from the king or from another nobleman in return for certain services
2. (Historical Terms) (in medieval Scotland)
a. a person of rank, often the chief of a clan, holding land from the king
b. a lesser noble who was a Crown official holding authority over an area of land
[Old English thegn; related to Old Saxon, Old High German thegan thane]
1. (in Anglo-Saxon England) a person ranking between an earl and an ordinary freeman, holding land of the king or a lord in return for services.
2. (in medieval Scotland) a person holding land of the king; a baron.
[before 900; late Middle English, Scots variant of Middle English thain, thein, Old English thegn, c. Old Saxon thegan man, Old High German degan servant, warrior, Old Norse thegn subject; akin to Greek téknon child]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||thane - a feudal lord or baron|
Scotland - one of the four countries that make up the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland; located on the northern part of the island of Great Britain; famous for bagpipes and plaids and kilts
|2.||thane - a man ranking above an ordinary freeman and below a noble in Anglo-Saxon England (especially one who gave military service in exchange for land)|
citizen - a native or naturalized member of a state or other political community