Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. (used with a sing. verb) The art of the theater.
2. (used with a pl. verb) Theatrical effects or mannerisms; histrionics.
n (functioning as singular)
1. (Theatre) the art of staging plays
2. exaggerated mannerisms or displays of emotions
1. (used with a sing. v.) the art of staging plays and other stage performances.
2. (used with a pl. v.) exaggerated, artificial, or histrionic mannerisms, actions, or words.
the art of the theater or of acting. — theatrical, n., adj.See also: Drama