Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to thermonuclear: thermonuclear bomb, thermonuclear reaction, thermonuclear reactor, Thermonuclear fusion
1. Relating to or derived from the fusion of atomic nuclei at high temperatures: thermonuclear reactions.
2. Relating to or characterized by the use of weapons that employ nuclear fusion, especially as distinguished from those that employ only nuclear fission: thermonuclear war.
1. (Nuclear Physics) involving nuclear fusion: a thermonuclear reaction; thermonuclear energy.
2. (Military) involving thermonuclear weapons: a thermonuclear war.
ther•mo•nu•cle•ar(ˌθɜr moʊˈnu kli ər, -ˈnyu- or, by metathesis, -kyə lər)
1. of, pertaining to, or involving fusion reactions between nuclei of a light element, as hydrogen, that require temperatures of several million degrees to occur: thermonuclear power.
2. pertaining to or using energy from such reactions: thermonuclear weapons systems.
pron: See nuclear.
1. Derived from the fusion of atomic nuclei at high temperatures or the energy produced in this way.
2. Relating to weapons based on nuclear fusion, especially as distinguished from those based on nuclear fission.
An adjective referring to the process (or processes) in which very high temperatures are used to bring about the fusion of light nuclei with the accompanying release of energy.