thumbed(redirected from thumbedly)
Also found in: Thesaurus.
a. The short thick digit of the human hand, next to the index finger and opposable to each of the other four digits.
b. A corresponding digit in other animals, especially primates. Also called pollex.
2. The part of a glove or mitten that covers the thumb.
3. Architecture An ovolo.
v. thumbed, thumb·ing, thumbs
1. To scan (written matter) by turning over pages with or as if with the thumb.
2. To disarrange, soil, or wear by careless or frequent handling.
3. Informal To solicit (a ride) from a passing vehicle by signaling with the thumb.
1. To scan written matter by turning over pages with or as if with the thumb: thumbed through the latest issue of the magazine.
2. Informal To hitchhike.
Lacking physical coordination, skill, or grace; clumsy.
thumb (one's) nose
To express scorn or ridicule, often by placing the thumb on the nose and wiggling the fingers.
under (someone's) thumb
Under the control of someone; subordinate to.