Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Acronyms, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
a. A paper slip or card indicating that its holder has paid for or is entitled to a specified service, right, or consideration: a theater ticket; an airline ticket.
b. An e-ticket.
2. A certifying document, especially a captain's or pilot's license.
3. An identifying or descriptive tag attached to merchandise; a label.
4. A list of candidates proposed or endorsed by a political party; a slate.
5. A legal notice to a person charged with a violation of law, especially a minor violation.
6. The proper or desirable thing: A change of scene would be just the ticket for us.
7. Informal A means to an end: "He went to Washington ... to become press secretary ... it was his ticket out of the Delta" (Nicholas Lamann).
tr.v. tick·et·ed, tick·et·ing, tick·ets
1. To provide with a ticket for passage or admission: ticket all passengers through to Amsterdam.
2. To attach a ticket to; tag: items that are ticketed in a pawnshop window.
3. To designate for a specified use or end; destine: funds that have been ticketed for research.
4. To serve (a person) with a notice of legal violation: ticket a speeding motorist.
[Obsolete French etiquet, label, note, from Old French estiquet, post serving as a target in certain sports, notice, label, from estiquier, to stick, of Germanic origin; see steig- in the Appendix of Indo-European roots.]
informal South African the end; that was it
[of unknown origin]
- Buying tickets
- Where can I get tickets?
- Where can we get tickets?
- I'd like two tickets, please
- I'd like two tickets for tonight
- I'd like two tickets for next Friday
- Two round-trip tickets to ... (US)
Two return tickets to ... (UK)
- How much are the tickets?
- A book of tickets, please
- Do you have multi-trip tickets? (US)
Do you have multi-journey tickets? (UK)
- Can I buy the tickets here?
- Could you reserve the tickets for us? (US)
Can you book the tickets for us? (UK)
- Where can I buy tickets for the concert?
- Where can I buy tickets for the ballet?
- Two tickets for tonight, please