Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Wikipedia.
1. Showing the effects of long use or wear: timeworn lanes.
2. Used too often; trite: timeworn expressions.
1. showing the adverse effects of overlong use or of old age
2. hackneyed; trite
1. worn or impaired by time.
2. showing the effects of age; antiquated: timeworn farming methods.
3. trite; hackneyed: a timeworn excuse.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||timeworn - repeated too often; overfamiliar through overuse; "bromidic sermons"; "his remarks were trite and commonplace"; "hackneyed phrases"; "a stock answer"; "repeating threadbare jokes"; "parroting some timeworn axiom"; "the trite metaphor `hard as nails'"|
unoriginal - not original; not being or productive of something fresh and unusual; "the manuscript contained unoriginal emendations"; "his life had been unoriginal, conforming completely to the given pattern"- Gwethalyn Graham
1. Belonging to, existing, or occurring in times long past:
age-old, ancient, antediluvian, antiquated, antique, archaic, hoary, old, olden, old-time, venerable.