Also found in: Thesaurus, Wikipedia.
1. A metal box for holding tinder.
2. A potentially explosive place or situation: referred to the crowded prison as a tinderbox of suppressed violence.
1. a box used formerly for holding tinder, esp one fitted with a flint and steel
2. a person or thing that is particularly touchy or explosive
1. a box for holding tinder, usu. fitted with a flint and steel.
2. a person or thing that is highly volatile; any potential source of violence.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||tinderbox - a dangerous state of affairs; a situation that is a potential source of violence; "the Balkans are the tinderbox of Europe"|
situation - a complex or critical or unusual difficulty; "the dangerous situation developed suddenly"; "that's quite a situation"; "no human situation is simple"
|2.||tinderbox - a box for holding tinder|
box - a (usually rectangular) container; may have a lid; "he rummaged through a box of spare parts"