Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to tonicity: hypertonic, osmotic pressure
n. pl. to·nic·i·ties
1. Normal firmness or functional readiness in body tissues or organs.
2. The sustained partial contraction of resting or relaxed muscles.
1. the state, condition, or quality of being tonic
2. (Physiology) physiol another name for tonus
to•nic•i•ty(toʊˈnɪs ɪ ti)
1. tonic quality or condition.
2. the state of bodily tone.
the state or quality of having good muscular tone or tension. — tonic, adj.See also: Health
the state or quality of having good muscular tone or tension. — tonic, adj.See also: Strength and Weakness
the state or quality of muscular tone or tension. — tonic, adj.See also: Body, Human
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||tonicity - the elastic tension of living muscles, arteries, etc. that facilitate response to stimuli; "the doctor tested my tonicity"|
tautness, tenseness, tensity, tension - the physical condition of being stretched or strained; "it places great tension on the leg muscles"; "he could feel the tenseness of her body"
catatonia - extreme tonus; muscular rigidity; a common symptom in catatonic schizophrenia
myotonia - abnormally long muscular contractions; slow relaxation of a muscle after a contraction