dogtooth(redirected from toother)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
1. A canine tooth; an eyetooth.
2. Architecture A medieval ornament consisting of four leaflike projections radiating from a raised center.
3. See houndstooth check.
n, pl -teeth
1. (Dentistry) another name for a canine3
2. (Architecture) architect a carved ornament in the form of four leaflike projections radiating from a raised centre, used in England in the 13th century
1. Also, dog′ tooth`. a canine tooth.
2. one of a series of small pyramidal ornaments, usu. formed by a radiating arrangement of four sculptured leaves, used esp. in 13th-century English architecture.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||dogtooth - perennial woodland spring-flowering plant; widely cultivated|
liliaceous plant - plant growing from a bulb or corm or rhizome or tuber
Erythronium, genus Erythronium - perennial bulbous herbs most of northern United States: dogtooth violet; adder's tongue; trout lily; fawn lily
blonde lilian, Erythronium albidum, white dog's-tooth violet, white dogtooth violet - North American dogtooth having solitary white flowers with yellow centers and blue or pink exteriors
amberbell, Erythronium americanum, trout lily, yellow adder's tongue - eastern North American dogtooth having solitary yellow flowers marked with brown or purple and spotted interiors
Erythronium dens-canis, European dogtooth - sturdy European dogtooth with rose to mauve flowers; cultivated in many varieties
Erythronium californicum, fawn lily - California dogtooth violet with creamy white flowers sometimes yellow-tinged
|2.||dogtooth - one of the four pointed conical teeth (two in each jaw) located between the incisors and the premolars|
fang - canine tooth of a carnivorous animal; used to seize and tear its prey
tooth - hard bonelike structures in the jaws of vertebrates; used for biting and chewing or for attack and defense
|3.||dogtooth - a carved pyramidal ornament; used in 13th century England|
architectural ornament - (architecture) something added to a building to improve its appearance