Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to toothwort: Cardamine diphylla
1. Any of several eastern North American plants of the genus Cardamine of the mustard family, such as crinkleroot, having fibrous or fleshy rhizomes and palmately divided leaves.
2. A Eurasian plant (Lathraea squamata) of the figwort family, having scaly cream-colored or pink stems and pinkish flowers.
[From the toothlike divisions of the underground stems . Sense 2, from its tooth-shaped scales .]
1. (Plants) a parasitic European scrophulariaceous plant, Lathraea squamaria, having no green parts, scaly cream or pink stems, pinkish flowers, and a rhizome covered with toothlike scales
2. (Plants) any North American or Eurasian plant of the genus Dentaria, having creeping rhizomes covered with toothlike projections: family Brassicaceae (crucifers). See also crinkleroot
1. any parasitic plant of the genus Lathraea, of the broomrape family, having a rootstock covered with toothlike scales.
2. any plant of the genus Dentaria, of the mustard family, having toothlike projections on the rootstock.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||toothwort - North American herb with pungent scaly or toothed roots|