tormented(redirected from tormentedly)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal.
1. Great physical pain or mental anguish.
2. A source of harassment, annoyance, or pain.
3. The torture inflicted on prisoners under interrogation.
tr.v. (tôr-mĕnt′, tôr′mĕnt′) tor·ment·ed, tor·ment·ing, tor·ments
1. To cause to undergo great physical pain or mental anguish. See Synonyms at afflict.
2. To annoy, pester, or harass: tormented by the children's pleas to be taken to the mall.
[Middle English, from Old French, from Latin tormentum, from torquēre, to twist; see terkw- in Indo-European roots.]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||tormented - experiencing intense pain especially mental pain; "an anguished conscience"; "a small tormented schoolboy"; "a tortured witness to another's humiliation"|
sorrowful - experiencing or marked by or expressing sorrow especially that associated with irreparable loss; "sorrowful widows"; "a sorrowful tale of death and despair"; "sorrowful news"; "even in laughter the heart is sorrowful"- Proverbs 14:13
|2.||tormented - tormented or harassed by nightmares or unreasonable fears; "hagridden...by visions of an imminent heaven or hell upon earth"- C.S.Lewis|
troubled - characterized by or indicative of distress or affliction or danger or need; "troubled areas"; "fell into a troubled sleep"; "a troubled expression"; "troubled teenagers"