Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
n. pl. tor·na·does or tor·na·dos
1. A violently rotating column of air extending from a cumulonimbus cloud to the ground, ranging in width from a few meters to more than a kilometer, with destructive winds up to 510 kilometers (316 miles) per hour or higher. Tornadoes are typically associated with a funnel cloud pendant from a storm's wall cloud, often extending to the bottom of the tornado.
2. A violent thunderstorm in western Africa or nearby Atlantic waters.
3. A whirlwind or hurricane.
[Alteration (probably influenced by Spanish tornado, turned, past participle of tornar, to turn) of Early Modern English ternado, violent thunderstorm, hurricane from Spanish tronada, thunderstorm, from tronar, to thunder, from Latin tonāre; see (s)tenə- in Indo-European roots.]
tor·na′dic (-nā′dĭk, -năd′ĭk) adj.
n, pl -does or -dos
1. (Physical Geography) Also called: cyclone or twister (US and Canadian informal)a violent storm with winds whirling around a small area of extremely low pressure, usually characterized by a dark funnel-shaped cloud causing damage along its path
2. (Physical Geography) a small but violent squall or whirlwind, such as those occurring on the West African coast
3. any violently active or destructive person or thing
4. (often capital) a type of dinghy, designed to be crewed by two people
[C16: probably alteration of Spanish tronada thunderstorm (from tronar to thunder, from Latin tonāre), through influence of tornar to turn, from Latin tornāre to turn in a lathe]
n., pl. -does, -dos.
1. a localized, violently destructive windstorm occurring over land, esp. in the Middle West, and characterized by a long, funnel-shaped cloud that extends to the ground.
2. a violent squall or whirlwind of small extent, as one of those occurring during the summer on the W coast of Africa.
3. a violent outburst, as of emotion or activity.
[1550–60; appar. by metathesis < Sp tronada thunderstorm, n. use of feminine of tronado, past participle of tronar < Latin tonāre to thunder]
tor•nad′ic (-ˈnæd ɪk, -ˈneɪ dɪk) adj.
A violently rotating column of air ranging in width from a few yards to more than a mile and whirling at speeds estimated at 300 miles (483 kilometers) an hour or higher. A tornado usually takes the form of a funnel-shaped cloud extending downward out of a cumulonimbus cloud. Where the funnel reaches the ground, it can cause enormous destruction.
a highly localized, violent windstorm occurring over land, usually in the U.S. Midwest, characterized by a vertical, funnel-shaped cloud.See also: Wind
An intense cyclone where the spiraling wind-speed reaches over 200 miles (320km) per hour.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||tornado - a localized and violently destructive windstorm occurring over land characterized by a funnel-shaped cloud extending toward the ground|
cyclone - a violent rotating windstorm
supertwister - the most powerful tornado which can create enormously devastating damage; "supertwisters are fortunately rare"
waterspout - a tornado passing over water and picking up a column of water and mist
|2.||tornado - a purified and potent form of cocaine that is smoked rather than snorted; highly addictive|
إعْصار دَوّاميإِعْصَارٌ قُمْعِيّاعصار
cơn lốc xoáy
tornado[tɔːˈneɪdəʊ] N (tornados, tornadoes (pl)) → tornado m
tornado[tɔːrˈneɪdəʊ] [tornadoes] (pl) n → tornade f
n pl <-es> → Tornado m
tornado[tɔːˈneɪdəʊ] n (tornadoes (pl)) → tornado
tornado(toːˈneidəu) – plural torˈnadoes – noun
a violent whirlwind that can cause great damage. The village was destroyed by a tornado. tornado إعْصار دَوّامي ураган furacão tornádo der Tornado tornado ανεμοστρόβιλος, σίφουναςtornado tornaado گردباد pyörremyrsky tornadeטורנדו घूर्ण वायु tornado, orkan forgószél angin puyuh skÿstrókur; hvirfilbylur tornado 竜巻 토네이도, 폭풍 tornadas tornado, viesuļvētra puting beliung wervelwindvirvelstorm, tornadotornado سخته بوړ بوړ كۍ، توفاني دوړ دوړ كه، بوړ بوكۍ furacão tornadă торнадо tornado tornado virvelstorm, tornado พายุทอร์นาโด kasırga, tornado, siklon 龍捲風 торнадо, смерч آندھي، جھکڑ bão táp 龙卷风