Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
tor·toise·shellalso tor·toise shell (tôr′tĭs-shĕl′)
a. The mottled, horny, translucent, brownish covering of the carapace of certain tortoises or turtles, especially the hawksbill, formerly widely used to make combs, jewelry, and other articles.
b. A synthetic imitation of natural tortoiseshell.
2. See hawksbill.
3. A domestic cat having a coat with irregular patches of different colors, usually black and reddish-orange.
4. Any of several butterflies, chiefly of the genus Nymphalis, having wings with orange, black, and brown markings.
1. (Animals) a horny translucent yellow-and-brown mottled substance obtained from the outer layer of the shell of the hawksbill turtle: used for making ornaments, jewellery, etc
2. a similar synthetic substance, esp plastic or celluloid, now more widely used than the natural product
3. (Breeds) Also called: tortoiseshell cat a breed of domestic cat, usually female, having black, cream, and brownish markings
4. (Animals) any of several nymphalid butterflies of the genus Nymphalis, and related genera, having orange-brown wings with black markings
5. (Animals) tortoiseshell turtle another name for hawksbill turtle
a. a yellowish-brown mottled colour
b. (as adjective): a tortoiseshell décor.
7. (modifier) made of tortoiseshell: a tortoiseshell comb.
n. Also, tor′toise shell`.
1. the horny brown and yellow layer on the outer surface of the hawksbill turtle's carapace, used for making combs and ornamental articles.
2. any synthetic substance made to look like natural tortoiseshell.
3. any of several butterflies of the genus Nymphalis, typically with bright, variegated markings.adj.
4. mottled or variegated like tortoiseshell, esp. with yellow and brown and sometimes other colors.
5. made of tortoiseshell.
6. (of a domestic cat) having a variegated black, orange, and cream coat.Also, tor′toise-shell`.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||tortoiseshell - the mottled horny substance of the shell of some turtles|
horn - the material (mostly keratin) that covers the horns of ungulates and forms hooves and claws and nails
|2.||tortoiseshell - brilliantly colored; larvae feed on nettles|
brush-footed butterfly, four-footed butterfly, nymphalid, nymphalid butterfly - medium to large butterflies found worldwide typically having brightly colored wings and much-reduced nonfunctional forelegs carried folded on the breast
|3.||tortoiseshell - a cat having black and cream-colored and yellowish markings|