Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to tracer: traces, tracker
a. One who is employed to locate missing goods or persons.
b. An investigation or inquiry organized to trace missing goods or persons.
2. Any of several instruments used in making tracings or in imprinting designs by tracing.
3. A tracer bullet.
4. An identifiable substance, such as a dye or a radioactive isotope, that is introduced into a biological or mechanical system and can be followed through the course of a process, providing information on the pattern of events in the process or on the redistribution of the parts or elements involved. Also called label.
1. a person or thing that traces
2. (Firearms, Gunnery, Ordnance & Artillery)
a. a projectile that can be observed when in flight by the burning of chemical substances in its base
b. ammunition consisting of such projectiles
c. (as modifier): tracer fire.
3. (Medicine) med any radioactive isotope introduced into the body to study metabolic processes, absorption, etc, by following its progress through the body with a gamma camera or other detector
4. an investigation to trace missing cargo, mail, etc
1. a person or thing that traces.
2. a person whose business or work is the tracing of missing property, parcels, persons, etc.
3. an inquiry sent from point to point to trace a missing shipment, parcel, or the like.
4. a projectile, as a bullet, containing a chemical substance that leaves a trail of fire or smoke.
5. a substance, esp. a radioactive one, traced through a biological, chemical, or physical system in order to study the system.
An identifiable substance, such as a dye or radioactive isotope, that can be followed through the course of a mechanical, chemical, or biological process. Tracers are used to provide information about details of the process or about the distribution of the substances involved in it.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||tracer - an investigator who is employed to find missing persons or missing goods|
|2.||tracer - an instrument used to make tracings|
instrument - a device that requires skill for proper use
|3.||tracer - (radiology) any radioactive isotope introduced into the body to study metabolism or other biological processes|
radiology - the branch of medical science dealing with the medical use of X-rays or other penetrating radiation
radioisotope - a radioactive isotope of an element; produced either naturally or artificially
|4.||tracer - ammunition whose flight can be observed by a trail of smoke|
(Mil: also tracer bullet) → Leuchtspurgeschoss nt
(Med) → Isotopenindikator m
(= inquiry form) → Suchzettel m, → Laufzettel m
n. trazador, radioisótopo que al introducirse en el cuerpo crea un rastro que puede detectarse.