Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to transcendental: transcendental meditation, Transcendental functions, transcendental philosophy
a. Concerned with the a priori or intuitive basis of knowledge as independent of experience.
b. Asserting a fundamental irrationality or supernatural element in experience.
2. Surpassing all others; superior.
3. Beyond common thought or experience; mystical or supernatural.
4. Mathematics Of or relating to a real or complex number that is not the root of any polynomial that has positive degree and rational coefficients.
1. transcendent, superior, or surpassing
2. (Philosophy) (in the philosophy of Kant)
a. (of a judgment or logical deduction) being both synthetic and a priori
b. of or relating to knowledge of the presuppositions of thought
3. (Philosophy) philosophy beyond our experience of phenomena, although not beyond potential knowledge
4. (Theology) theol surpassing the natural plane of reality or knowledge; supernatural or mystical
tran•scen•den•tal(ˌtræn sɛnˈdɛn tl, -sən-)
1. transcendent, surpassing, or superior.
2. being beyond ordinary or common experience, thought, or belief; supernatural.
3. abstract or metaphysical.
4. idealistic, lofty, or visionary.
a. beyond the contingent and accidental in human experience, but not beyond all human knowledge.
b. (in Kantian philosophy) of, based upon, or concerned with a priori elements in experience, which condition human knowledge.
6. (of a number) not the root of any algebraic equation with rational coefficients. Compare irrational (def. 4).
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||transcendental - existing outside of or not in accordance with nature; "find transcendental motives for sublunary action"-Aldous Huxley|
supernatural - not existing in nature or subject to explanation according to natural laws; not physical or material; "supernatural forces and occurrences and beings"
|2.||transcendental - of or characteristic of a system of philosophy emphasizing the intuitive and spiritual above the empirical and material|
1. Existing only in concept and not in reality: