Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to treadmill: treadmill test
1. A wheel with steps on which a person treads, used to power machinery.
2. An exercise device consisting of a continuous moving belt on which a person or animal can walk or run while remaining in one place.
3. A monotonous routine or set of tasks.
1. (Historical Terms) Also called: treadwheel (formerly) an apparatus used to produce rotation, in which the weight of men or animals climbing steps on or around the periphery of a cylinder or wheel caused it to turn
2. a dreary round or routine
3. an exercise machine that consists of a continuous moving belt on which to walk or jog
1. a mill powered by people or animals treading on a succession of moving steps or on a belt.
2. an exercise machine that allows the user to walk or run in place, usu. on a continuous belt.
3. any monotonous, wearisome routine in which there is little or no satisfactory progress.
A machine with an endless belt that an animal can walk on and cause the belt to rotate, thereby converting walking motion into rotary motion. Treadmills, like Horse powers, are very old in concept. Roman relief drawings of 100 a.d. show man-powered machines that look much like those to be found today for mice to play on.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||treadmill - an exercise device consisting of an endless belt on which a person can walk or jog without changing place|
exercise device - a device designed to provide exercise for the user
|2.||treadmill - a mill that is powered by men or animals walking on a circular belt or climbing steps|
|3.||treadmill - a job involving drudgery and confinement|
n. [physical fitness] rueda de andar; tapiz rodante.