Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A unit of sociopolitical organization consisting of a number of families, clans, or other groups who share a common ancestry and culture and among whom leadership is typically neither formalized nor permanent.
2. A political, ethnic, or ancestral division of ancient states and cultures, especially:
a. Any of the three divisions of the ancient Romans, namely, the Latin, Sabine, and Etruscan.
b. Any of the 12 divisions of ancient Israel.
c. A phyle of ancient Greece.
3. A group of people sharing an occupation, interest, or habit: a tribe of graduate students.
4. Informal A large family.
5. Biology A taxonomic category ranking below a family or subfamily and above a genus and usually containing several genera.
1. (Anthropology & Ethnology) a social division of a people, esp of a preliterate people, defined in terms of common descent, territory, culture, etc
2. (Historical Terms) (an ethnic or ancestral division of ancient cultures, esp of one of the following)
a. any of the three divisions of the ancient Romans, the Latins, Sabines, and Etruscans
b. one of the later political divisions of the Roman people
c. any of the 12 divisions of ancient Israel, each of which was named after and believed to be descended from one of the 12 patriarchs
d. a phyle of ancient Greece
3. informal often jocular
a. a large number of persons, animals, etc
b. a specific class or group of persons
c. a family, esp a large one
4. (Biology) biology a taxonomic group that is a subdivision of a subfamily
5. (Agriculture) stockbreeding a strain of animals descended from a common female ancestor through the female line
[C13: from Latin tribus; probably related to Latin trēs three]
1. any aggregate of people united by ties of descent from a common ancestor, community of customs and traditions, adherence to the same leaders, etc.
2. a local division of an aboriginal people.
a. a category in the classification of organisms usu. between a subfamily and a genus.
b. any group of plants or animals.
c. a group of animals, esp. cattle, descended through the female line from a common female ancestor.
4. a company, group, or set of persons, esp. one with strong common traits or interests.
5. a large family.
6. (in ancient Rome)
a. any one of three divisions of the people representing the Latin, Sabine, and Etruscan settlements.
b. one of the later political divisions of the people, reaching a total of 35 in number.
7. a phyle of ancient Greece.
[1200–50; Middle English < Latin tribus tribe, orig., each of the three divisions of the Roman people]
- low man - On an actual totem pole, it is really the most important man in the tribe.
- tribe - From Latin tribus, it may refer to the three divisions of early Romans, the Latins, Sabines, and Etruscans.
- tribunal - Originally referred to a seat or raised platform for judges, from Latin tribunus, "head of a tribe."
- cannibal - When Columbus was trying to find the Spice Islands, he was told of a tribe of man-eating natives in Cuba and Haiti called Caribs (from which we get Caribbean) or Caniba (Columbus' rendition of the name); the word canib, meaning "brave and fierce," became cannibal, meaning "anthropophagite," a person who eats human flesh.
Tribea number or company of persons or animals; a social group containing a number of families.
Examples: tribe of children, 1835; of critics, 1843; of chronical diseases, 1744; of goats—Brewer; of medicines, 1822; of nieces, 1909; of vulgar politicians, 1796; of savages; of snails and worms, 1731; of sparrows; of whales, 1820.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||tribe - a social division of (usually preliterate) people|
social group - people sharing some social relation
moiety - one of two basic subdivisions of a tribe
phyle - a tribe of ancient Athenians
|2.||tribe - a federation (as of American Indians)|
nation - a federation of tribes (especially Native American tribes); "the Shawnee nation"
U.S.A., United States, United States of America, US, USA, America, the States, U.S. - North American republic containing 50 states - 48 conterminous states in North America plus Alaska in northwest North America and the Hawaiian Islands in the Pacific Ocean; achieved independence in 1776
Maya, Mayan - a member of an American Indian people of Yucatan and Belize and Guatemala who had a culture (which reached its peak between AD 300 and 900) characterized by outstanding architecture and pottery and astronomy; "Mayans had a system of writing and an accurate calendar"
Nahuatl - a member of any of various Indian peoples of central Mexico
Olmec - a member of an early Mesoamerican civilization centered around Veracruz that flourished between 1300 and 400 BC
|3.||tribe - (biology) a taxonomic category between a genus and a subfamily|
family - (biology) a taxonomic group containing one or more genera; "sharks belong to the fish family"
|4.||tribe - group of people related by blood or marriage|
social group - people sharing some social relation
mishpachah, mishpocha - (Yiddish) the entire family network of relatives by blood or marriage (and sometimes close friends); "she invited the whole mishpocha"
family unit, family - primary social group; parents and children; "he wanted to have a good job before starting a family"
folks - your parents; "he wrote to his folks every day"
totem - a clan or tribe identified by their kinship to a common totemic object
Tribes of Israel, Twelve Tribes of Israel - twelve kin groups of ancient Israel each traditionally descended from one of the twelve sons of Jacob
relative, relation - a person related by blood or marriage; "police are searching for relatives of the deceased"; "he has distant relations back in New Jersey"
tribesman - someone who lives in a tribe
1. race, ethnic group, people, family, class, stock, house, division, blood, seed (chiefly biblical), sept, gens, clan, caste, dynasty three hundred members of the Xhosa tribe
عِرْق ، قَبيلَهقبيلةقَبِيلَةمَجْموعَة عائِلات، قَبيلَه
tribe[ˈtraɪb] n → tribu f
tribe[traɪb] n → tribù f inv
1. a race of people, or a family, who are all descended from the same ancestor. the tribes of Israel. stam عِرْق ، قَبيلَه род tribo kmen der Stamm stamme φυλήtribu hõim طایفه suku tribuשבט जन जाति narod (nép)törzs suku bangsa ættflokkur/-bálkur, ætt, kynkvísl tribù, genia 種族 종족 giminė, gentis cilts puak stamstamme, klan, familieplemię طایفه neam поколение; колено kmeň pleme pleme [folk]stam, släkt เชื้อชาติ soy, boy 部落，種族 клан; коліно قبيلہ bộ lạc 种族，宗族
2. a group of families, especially of a primitive or wandering people, ruled by a chief. the desert tribes of Africa. stam مَجْموعَة عائِلات، قَبيلَه племе tribo kmen der Stamm stamme φυλήtribu suguharu قبیله heimo tribuשבט समुदाय pleme törzs suku bangsa ættflokkur tribù 部族 부족 gentis cilts puak stamfolkeferdplemię قبیله trib племя kmeň pleme pleme infödingsstam ตระกูล kabile, aşiret 部落 плем'я قبائلي خاندان bộ lạc 部落ˈtribal adjective
of a tribe or tribes. tribal lands/customs; the tribal system. stamagtig قَبَلي племенен tribal kmenový Stammes-... stamme- φυλετικόςtribal hõimu- قبیله ای heimo- tribal שִבטִי जनजातीय plemenski törzsi kesukuan ættar- tribale 部族の 부족의 giminės, genties, gentinis cilšu-; cilts- puak stam-stamme-, klan- plemienny قبیلوی، قومی tribal племенной kmeňový plemenski plemenski stam-, släkt- เกี่ยวกับชนเผ่า kabileye ait 部落的 родовий, племінний قبيلے کا thuộc bộ tộc 部落的ˈtribesman (ˈtraibz-) noun
a man who belongs to a tribe. an African tribesman. stamlid أحَد أفْراد القَبيلَه член на племе membro da tribo člen kmenu der/die Stammesangehörige stammemedlem μέλος φυλής miembro de una tribu hõimuliige قبیله نشین heimolainen membre d'une (de la) tribu אִיש שֶבֶט आदिवासी član plemena törzstag anggota suku maður af tilteknum ættbálki (membro di una tribù) 部族民 부족민, 원주민 gentainis cilts loceklis anggota puak stamlid stammemedlem członek plemienia قبیلوی membru al unui trib соплеменник člen kmeňa član plemena pripadnik plemena stammedlem ชาวเขา kabile üyesi, aşiret ferdi 部落的一員，同族人 член роду, родич قبيلے کا آدمي người của bộ lạc 部落的一员，同族人
tribe→ قَبِيلَة kmen stamme Volksstamm φυλή tribu heimo tribu pleme tribù 部族 부족 stam stamme plemię tribo племя stam เผ่า kabile bộ tộc 部落
n. tribu, categoría biológica en taxonomía.