Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Wikipedia.
1. A period or term of three months.
2. One of three terms into which an academic year is divided in some universities and colleges.
[French trimestre, from Latin trimēstris, trimēnstris, of three months : tri-, tri- + mēnsis, month; see mē- in Indo-European roots.]
tri·mes′tral (-trəl), tri·mes′tri·al (-trē-əl) adj.
1. a period of three months
2. (Education) (in some US and Canadian universities or schools) any of the three academic sessions
[C19: from French trimestre, from Latin trimēstris of three months, from tri- + mēnsis month]
triˈmestral, triˈmestrial adj
tri•mes•ter(traɪˈmɛs tər, ˈtraɪ mɛs-)
1. a term or period of three months: the first trimester of pregnancy.
2. one of the three approximately equal terms into which the academic year is divided.
[1815–25; < French trimestre < Latin trimē(n)stris of three months]
Any of three parts that the academic year is divided into in some colleges and universities.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||trimester - a period of three months; especially one of the three three-month periods into which human pregnancy is divided|
period, period of time, time period - an amount of time; "a time period of 30 years"; "hastened the period of time of his recovery"; "Picasso's blue period"
first trimester - time period extending from the first day of the last menstrual period through 12 weeks of gestation
second trimester - time period extending from the 13th to the 27th week of gestation
third trimester - time period extending from the 28th week of gestation until delivery
|2.||trimester - one of three divisions of an academic year|
academic year, school year - the period of time each year when the school is open and people are studying