Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Acronyms, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to trout: Steelhead trout
n. pl. trout or troutsIdiom:
1. Any of various salmonid food and game fishes of the genera Oncorhynchus, Salmo, and Salvelinus, having a streamlined, speckled body and usually inhabiting freshwater streams or lakes. These genera also include the salmons and the chars.
2. Any of various similar but unrelated fishes, such as the trout-perch.
old trout Chiefly British Offensive Slang
An elderly woman.
[Middle English troute, from Old English trūht, from Late Latin trūcta, perhaps from Greek trōktēs, a kind of sea fish with sharp teeth, from trōgein, to gnaw; see terə-1 in the Appendix of Indo-European roots.]
n, pl trout or trouts
1. (Animals) any of various game fishes, esp Salmo trutta and related species, mostly of fresh water in northern regions: family Salmonidae (salmon). They resemble salmon but are smaller and spotted
2. (Animals) any of various similar or related fishes, such as a sea trout
3. (Animals) Austral any of various fishes of the Salmo or Oncorhynchus genera smaller than the salmon, esp European and American varieties naturalized in Australia
4. informal Brit an irritating or grumpy person, esp a woman
[Old English trūht, from Late Latin tructa, from Greek trōktēs sharp-toothed fish]
n., pl. (esp. collectively) trout, (esp. for kinds or species) trouts.
1. any of various usu. speckled freshwater game fishes belonging to the genera Salmo and Salvelinus, of the salmon family, as the brook trout and rainbow trout.
2. any of several similar but unrelated fishes.
[before 1050; Middle English trou(h)te, Old English truht < Latin tructa < Greek trṓktēs gnawer, a sea fish =trṓg(ein) to gnaw + -tēs agent n. suffix]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||trout - flesh of any of several primarily freshwater game and food fishes|
fish - the flesh of fish used as food; "in Japan most fish is eaten raw"; "after the scare about foot-and-mouth disease a lot of people started eating fish instead of meat"; "they have a chef who specializes in fish"
rainbow trout - flesh of Pacific trout that migrate from salt to fresh water
|2.||trout - any of various game and food fishes of cool fresh waters mostly smaller than typical salmons|
food fish - any fish used for food by human beings
salmonid - soft-finned fishes of cold and temperate waters
brown trout, Salmo trutta, salmon trout - speckled trout of European rivers; introduced in North America
Salmo gairdneri, rainbow trout - found in Pacific coastal waters and streams from lower California to Alaska
Salvelinus namaycush, lake trout, salmon trout - large fork-tailed trout of lakes of Canada and the northern United States
سَلْمُونٌ مُرَقَّطسَمَك الأُطْروطلَحْم سَمَك الأطْروط
trout(traut) – plural trout – noun
1. a type of freshwater fish of the salmon family. He caught five trout. forel سَمَك الأُطْروط пъстърва truta pstruh die Forelle ørred; forel πέστροφαtrucha forell ماهی قزل آلا taimen truite פוֹרֵל एक प्रकार की मछली pastrva pisztráng ikan forel silungur trota ます 송어 upėtakis forele ikan trout forelørretpstrąg قزل آلا ماهی truta păstrăv форель pstruh postrv pastrmka forell ปลาจำพวกหนึ่งมีลักษณะคล้ายปลาแซลมอน alabalık 鱒(魚)，鮭鱒魚 форель ايک قسم کي مچھلي cá hồi 鳟（鱼），鲑鱼
2. its flesh, used as food. Have some more trout! forel لَحْم سَمَك الأطْروط пъстърва truta pstruh die Forelle ørred; forel κρέας πέστροφας trucha forell گوشت قزل آلا taimen truite בְּשַר הַפוֹרֵל बेहूदी pastrva pisztráng ikan forel silungur trota ます 송어 고기 upėtakis forele daging ikan trout forelørretpstrąg قزل آلا غوښه truta păstrăv форель pstruh postrv meso pastrmke forell เนื้อปลามีลักษณะคล้ายปลาแซลมอน alabalık eti 鱒魚肉 форель اس مچھلي کا گوشت thịt cá hồi 鳟鱼肉