truncate(redirected from truncates)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Encyclopedia.
tr.v. trun·cat·ed, trun·cat·ing, trun·cates
1. To shorten or reduce: The script was truncated to leave time for commercials. See Synonyms at shorten.
2. To shorten (a number) by dropping one or more digits after the decimal point.
3. To replace (the edge of a crystal) with a plane face.
1. Appearing to terminate abruptly, as a leaf of a tulip tree or a coiled gastropod shell that lacks a spire.
(tr) to shorten by cutting off a part, end, or top
1. cut short; truncated
2. (Biology) biology having a blunt end, as though cut off at the tip: a truncate leaf.
[C15: from Latin truncāre to lop]
v. -cat•ed, -cat•ing,
1. to shorten by or as if by cutting off a part; cut short.adj.
a. square or broad at the end, as if cut off transversely.
b. lacking the apex, as certain spiral shells.
[1480–90; < Latin truncātus, past participle of truncāre to lop, derivative of truncus trunk; see -ate1]
Past participle: truncated
Switch to new thesaurus
|Verb||1.||truncate - replace a corner by a plane |
geometry - the pure mathematics of points and lines and curves and surfaces
|2.||truncate - approximate by ignoring all terms beyond a chosen one; "truncate a series"|
math, mathematics, maths - a science (or group of related sciences) dealing with the logic of quantity and shape and arrangement
|3.||truncate - make shorter as if by cutting off; "truncate a word"; "Erosion has truncated the ridges of the mountains"|
shorten - make shorter than originally intended; reduce or retrench in length or duration; "He shortened his trip due to illness"
|Adj.||1.||truncate - terminating abruptly by having or as if having an end or point cut off; "a truncate leaf"; "truncated volcanic mountains"; "a truncated pyramid"|
short - (primarily spatial sense) having little length or lacking in length; "short skirts"; "short hair"; "the board was a foot short"; "a short toss"
truncate[trʌŋˈkeɪt] VT [+ report, speech] → truncar
truncate[trʌŋˈkeɪt] vt (report, speech) → tagliare
a. truncado-a, que tiene una parte cercenada; amputado-a;
v. truncar, cortar, amputar.