Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A widely cultivated tropical plant (Curcuma longa) of India, having yellow flowers and an aromatic, somewhat fleshy rhizome.
2. The powdered rhizome of this plant, used as a spice and a yellow dye.
3. Any of several other plants having similar rhizomes.
1. (Plants) a tropical Asian zingiberaceous plant, Curcuma longa, having yellow flowers and an aromatic underground stem
2. (Cookery) the powdered stem of this plant, used as a condiment and as a yellow dye
3. (Plants) any of several other plants with similar roots
[C16: from Old French terre merite, from Medieval Latin terra merita, literally: meritorious earth, name applied for obscure reasons to curcuma]
tur•mer•ic(ˈtɜr mər ɪk)
1. the aromatic rhizome of an Asian plant, Curcuma longa, of the ginger family.
2. a powder prepared from it, used as a condiment, a yellow dye, a medicine, etc.
3. the plant itself.
4. any of various similar substances or plants.
[1530–40; earlier tarmaret < Medieval Latin terra merita merited earth]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||turmeric - widely cultivated tropical plant of India having yellow flowers and a large aromatic deep yellow rhizome; source of a condiment and a yellow dye|
turmeric - ground dried rhizome of the turmeric plant used as seasoning
herb, herbaceous plant - a plant lacking a permanent woody stem; many are flowering garden plants or potherbs; some having medicinal properties; some are pests
|2.||turmeric - ground dried rhizome of the turmeric plant used as seasoning|
flavorer, flavoring, flavourer, flavouring, seasoning, seasoner - something added to food primarily for the savor it imparts