Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Acronyms, Encyclopedia.
1. Abbr. Tnpk. or Tpk. A toll road, especially an expressway on which tolls are charged.
2. A tollgate.
1. (Historical Terms) (between the mid-16th and late 19th centuries)
a. gates or some other barrier set across a road to prevent passage until a toll had been paid
b. a road on which a turnpike was operated
2. an obsolete word for turnstile1
3. (Civil Engineering) US a motorway for use of which a toll is charged
[C15: from turn + pike2]
1. a high-speed highway, esp. one maintained by tolls.
2. (formerly) a barrier set across such a highway to stop passage until a toll has been paid.
See also related terms for highway.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||turnpike - (from 16th to 19th centuries) gates set across a road to prevent passage until a toll had been paid|
gate - a movable barrier in a fence or wall
|2.||turnpike - an expressway on which tolls are collected|