Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
A river, about 160 km (100 mi) long, of southeast Scotland forming part of the Scottish-English border. It flows eastward to the North Sea and has rich salmon fisheries.
1. A coarse, rugged, often nubby woolen fabric made in any of various twill weaves and used chiefly for casual suits and coats.
2. tweeds Clothing made of this fabric.
[Alteration (influenced by the river Tweed) of Scots tweel, twill, from Middle English twile; see twill.]
a. a thick woollen often knobbly cloth produced originally in Scotland
b. (as modifier): a tweed coat.
2. (Clothing & Fashion) (plural) clothes made of this cloth, esp a man's or woman's suit
3. (Clothing & Fashion) (plural) informal Austral trousers
[C19: probably from tweel, a Scottish variant of twill, influenced by Tweed]
(Placename) a river in SE Scotland and NE England, flowing east and forming part of the border between Scotland and England, then crossing into England to enter the North Sea at Berwick. Length: 156 km (97 miles)
1. a coarse wool cloth in a variety of weaves and colors, produced esp. in Scotland.
2. tweeds, garments made of this cloth.
[1835–45; appar. back formation from Scots tweedling twilling (now obsolete), of obscure orig.]
1. William Marcy ( “Boss Tweed” ), 1823–78, U.S. politician.
2. a river flowing E from S Scotland along part of the NE boundary of England into the North Sea. 97 mi. (156 km) long.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||tweed - thick woolen fabric used for clothing; originated in Scotland|
cloth, fabric, textile, material - artifact made by weaving or felting or knitting or crocheting natural or synthetic fibers; "the fabric in the curtains was light and semitransparent"; "woven cloth originated in Mesopotamia around 5000 BC"; "she measured off enough material for a dress"
Harris Tweed - a loosely woven tweed made in the Outer Hebrides
|2.||tweed - (usually in the plural) trousers made of flannel or gabardine or tweed or white cloth|
trouser, pant - (usually in the plural) a garment extending from the waist to the knee or ankle, covering each leg separately; "he had a sharp crease in his trousers"
تْويد: نَسيج صوفي غَليظ
tweed(twiːd) noun, adjective
(of) a kind of woollen cloth with a rough surface. His suit was (made of) tweed; a tweed jacket. tweed تْويد: نَسيج صوفي غَليظ вид вълнен плат tweed (confeccionado com pano de duas cores) tvíd(ový) der Tweed; Tweed-... tweed; tweed- τουίντ chevió, cheviot tviid, tviid- فاستونی؛ پارچه پشمی tweed tweed טְווִיד एक प्रकार का ऊनी कपड़ा gruba vunena tkanina, tvid tweed (gyapjúszövet) wol kasar tvíd(efni) tweed; di tweed ツイード 트위드 tvidas tvīds; tvīda audums kain tweed tweedtweed tweed پشمی ټوټه tweed (de/din) tweed твид tvíd; tvídový tvid; tvidast tvid tweed ผ้าขนสัตว์ tüvid (粗)花呢 твід کھردرا اوني کپڑا vải tuýt （粗）花呢