Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A weak chirping sound, as of a young or small bird.
2. A message posted on Twitter. Tweets are limited to 140 characters.
intr.v. tweet·ed, tweet·ing, tweets
1. To utter a weak chirping sound.
2. To write a tweet on Twitter.
(Zoology) (often reiterated) an imitation or representation of the thin chirping sound made by small or young birds
1. (Zoology) (intr) to make this sound
2. to post a short message on the Twitter website
3. a thin chirping sound
4. a short message posted on the Twitter website
[C19: of imitative origin]
1. a chirping sound, as of a small bird.v.i.
2. to chirp.
Past participle: tweeted
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||tweet - a weak chirping sound as of a small bird|
chirp - a sharp sound made by small birds or insects
|Verb||1.||tweet - make a weak, chirping sound; "the small bird was tweeting in the tree"|
|2.||tweet - squeeze tightly between the fingers; "He pinched her behind"; "She squeezed the bottle"|
grip - hold fast or firmly; "He gripped the steering wheel"
goose - pinch in the buttocks; "he goosed the unsuspecting girl"
tweak - pinch or squeeze sharply