Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal.
Related to unbecoming: unbecomingly
1. Not appropriate, attractive, or flattering: an unbecoming dress.
2. Not in accord with the standards implied by one's character or position: conduct unbecoming an officer. See Synonyms at unseemly.
1. unsuitable or inappropriate, esp through being unattractive: an unbecoming hat.
2. (when: postpositive, usually foll by of or an object) not proper or seemly (for): manners unbecoming a lady.
un•be•com•ing(ˌʌn bɪˈkʌm ɪŋ)
detracting from one's appearance, character, or reputation; unattractive or unseemly: an unbecoming hat; unbecoming language.
syn: See improper.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||unbecoming - not in keeping with accepted standards of what is right or proper in polite society; "was buried with indecent haste"; "indecorous behavior"; "language unbecoming to a lady"; "unseemly to use profanity"; "moved to curb their untoward ribaldry"|
improper - not suitable or right or appropriate; "slightly improper to dine alone with a married man"; "improper medication"; "improper attire for the golf course"
1. unattractive, unflattering, unsightly, unsuitable, incongruous, unsuited, ill-suited an unbecoming dress hurriedly stitched from cheap cloth
1. Not suited to circumstances:
improper, inappropriate, inapt, incongruous, inept, malapropos, unapt, unbefitting, unfit, unseemly, unsuitable.
Idiom: out of place.