Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
n. pl. un·der·bel·lies
1. The soft belly or underside of an animal's body. Also called underbody.
2. The bottom side or part: scraped the car's underbelly going over the curb.
3. The vulnerable or weak part or aspect: "What if quantum theory is wrong? This is the soft underbelly of the whole project of quantum gravity" (Lee Smolin).
4. The corrupt or immoral part or aspect: "[a novel] that most effectively exposed the decadent underbelly of corporate high tech" (Theodore Roszack).
n, pl -lies
1. (Zoology) the part of an animal's belly nearest to the ground
2. a vulnerable or unprotected part, aspect, or region
un•der•bel•ly(ˈʌn dərˌbɛl i)
n., pl. -lies.
1. the lower abdomen.
2. the underneath part of an animal behind the chest.
3. the lower surface or underside.
4. a vulnerable area; weak point.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||underbelly - lower side; "the underbellies of clouds"|
|2.||underbelly - the soft belly or underside of an animal's body|
|3.||underbelly - the quality of being weak or unprotected; "the soft underbelly of the Axis"- Winston Churchill|