unipolar(redirected from unipolarly)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
1. Having, acting by means of, or produced by a single magnetic or electric pole.
2. Biology Having a single fibrous process. Used of a neuron.
3. Medicine Relating to or being a mood disorder that includes depression and not mania or hypomania.
u′ni·po·lar′i·ty (-pō-lăr′ĭ-tē) n.
1. (General Physics) of, concerned with, or having a single magnetic or electric pole
2. (Biochemistry) (of a nerve cell) having a single process
3. (Electronics) (of a transistor) utilizing charge carriers of one polarity only, as in a field-effect transistor
4. (Pathology) (of nervous depression) occurring without accompanying bouts of mania
5. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) dominated by one superpower, esp the United States. See bipolar
a. unipolar, de un solo polo, tal como las células nerviosas.