Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to Unitarianism: Unitarian Universalism, Unitarian Church, universalism, transcendentalism, Zoroastrianism
1. An adherent of Unitarian Universalism.
2. A monotheist who is not a Christian.
3. A Christian who is not a Trinitarian.
[From New Latin ūnitārius, monotheist, from Latin ūnitās, unity; see unity.]
(Government, Politics & Diplomacy) any unitary system, esp of government
1. (Christian Churches, other) a system of Christian belief that maintains the unipersonality of God, rejects the Trinity and the divinity of Christ, and takes reason, conscience, and character as the criteria of belief and practice
2. (Theology) a system of Christian belief that maintains the unipersonality of God, rejects the Trinity and the divinity of Christ, and takes reason, conscience, and character as the criteria of belief and practice
the beliefs, principles, and practices of the Unitarian denomination, especially its doctrine that God is one being, and its emphasis upon autonomous congregational government. — Unitarian, n., adj.See also: Protestantism
the doctrines of those, including the Unitarian denomination, who hold that God exists only in one person. Cf. trinitarianism. — unitarian, n.,adj.See also: Christ