Also found in: Thesaurus.
1. Not combed: unkempt hair.
2. Disorderly or untidy in appearance: an unkempt vagabond; an unkempt garden. See Synonyms at sloppy.
1. (of the hair) uncombed; dishevelled
2. ungroomed; slovenly: unkempt appearance.
3. archaic crude or coarse
[Old English uncembed; from un-1 + cembed, past participle of cemban to comb; related to Old Saxon kembian, Old High German kemben to comb]
1. not combed: unkempt hair.
2. uncared-for or neglected; disheveled; messy.
3. unpolished; rough; crude.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||unkempt - not neatly combed; "wild unkempt hair"|
uncombed - (of hair) not combed; "he was unwashed and uncombed with his clothes half buttoned"; "wild unkempt hair"
|2.||unkempt - not properly maintained or cared for; "an unkempt garden"; "native vistas and unkempt rambling paths"; "an ukempt appearance"|
untidy - not neat and tidy; "careless and untidy in her personal habits"; "an untidy living room"; "untidy and casual about money"