Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Encyclopedia.
Related to unlettered: bunging
a. Not adept at reading and writing; deficient in the knowledge that can be acquired from books.
2. Having no lettering: a plain, unlettered T-shirt.
1. (Education) uneducated; illiterate
2. not marked with letters: an unlettered tombstone.
1. uneducated; untutored; ignorant.
3. not marked with letters, as a tombstone.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||unlettered - having little acquaintance with writing; "special tutorials to assist the unlettered sector of society"|
illiterate - not able to read or write
|2.||unlettered - uneducated in general; lacking knowledge or sophistication; "an ignorant man"; "nescient of contemporary literature"; "an unlearned group incapable of understanding complex issues"; "exhibiting contempt for his unlettered companions"|
uneducated - not having a good education